February 4, 2011

Romance?

I love my husband, he's perfect in every way, but.....he's not very romantic.  He's not super affectionate or mushy either.  Even still, I don't doubt his love for me.

The onset of the month of February tends to make one think about romance because of Valentine's Day.  So I've been thinking about this observance off and on this week.  At first I felt like meh, it's a silly day.  Then I thought, but it's girls like me whose husbands are lame at romance who need a special day to make them think about it.  Then last night while lying in bed (always) a new thought occurred to me.

Mark often laments the idea that romance is all the man's responsibility.  He thinks I should try to be romantic too.  I usually tell him that women are the ones who want the romance and it's something nice for the one you love.  So he feels all this pressure, and then if he does do something, it's like I prompted it so it's not totally from his heart.

I've been noticing the last few months that I have a lot of expectations of Mark.  I expect him to stay as healthy as he possibly can, to be a good husband, to be a good dad, to be a good friend, to be a good son, to do his job and be happy and not let his circumstances get him down.  Then he also has to do all the driving around and do the "manly" stuff around the house (I don't feel all that bad about the driving though, because we're just lucky that one of us can).  And boy, are the kids and I lucky that he likes to cook too!  Oh, but let's not forget about romance!  I guess I can see why that tends to fall by the wayside.

He really does have a lot on his plate.  He's not a normal guy yet I want him to act like one.  Yes, surprise flowers, treats or candles are lovely, but like I said, I know he loves me.  Not a day goes by that the words aren't said or a hug or kiss given.  He shows me in many ways, such as knowing the things I like and making sure I have them 99% of the time.  That makes me really happy!

So Mark isn't all about the hearts and flowers.  I'll live, and I can cut him some slack.  Maybe I can suck it up and try to be romantic for him...although I really don't know what to do for a man.  Anyway, these days, I'm mostly just glad he's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment